Communications Summer Associate (Part-time)
SCE is a Chicago-based foundation with a national purview. The focus of our work is on cultivating 21st century skills for the rising generation, with an emphasis on digital learning and social and emotional skills. SCE’s approach is to ask the hard questions and make calculated and thoughtful risks, moving beyond traditional grantmaking to explore new areas of impact and forge innovative partnerships.
We are currently seeking a dynamic professional to join our small team as the Communications Summer Associate to advance SCE’s communications, outreach and initiative campaign strategies. The Communications Summer Associate will be responsible for developing SCE’s key communications policies to increase visibility and reach. This part-time position in based in Chicago and will report directly to the Program Officer.
- Communications Strategy. Develop, implement and manage the communications strategy for SCE to increase visibility, engage existing and new audiences, elevate partners and enhance our ability to communicate our work, learnings and programs. Aid in the development of protocols for brand management strategies, editorial calendars, and tools to implement those strategies (templates, language, plans and guidelines).
- Campaign Design. Develop and implement strategic engagement and outreach campaigns for emerging grant initiative milestones.
- Platform Management. Manage day-to-day engagement platforms (including social media, web content and online mailings) which represents SCE’s point of view and program areas to the public, media, and philanthropic community in an effective, consistent and concise manner.
- Tracking and Evaluation. Track, measure, and report on the reach and impact of SCE’s public-facing communications to evaluate and improve approaches.
- Writing and Content Development. Responsible for writing and editing blogs, thought pieces, newsletters and social media posts, which accurately communicate our programs, learnings and events.
- Press Outreach. Oversee press and media outreach plan, including pitching (press releases, op-eds, etc.) and relationship cultivating with reporters, media partners and influencers to increase SCE’s visibility on local and national scale.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualities and technical skills:
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree—or intent to complete a degree –preferred)
- Demonstrated success creating and implementing effective outreach campaigns
- Exceptional communication skills and proven ability to write in a variety of tones and voices
- Knowledge in using communications platforms such as MailChimp, WordPress, Twitter and Facebook
- Familiarity working with reporters and media outlets a plus
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite
- An energetic self-starter able to work independently as well as within a team
- Respectful and ethical; motivated to be a positive force for social change
- Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Foundation experience not required
- Sense of humor and passion for the mission is required
This position is based in the City of Chicago, but our trustees, grantees, and partners span the country. Salary (hourly) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Associate is expected to work part-time at a minimum of 15 hours a week for the summer, with the option to extend through the fall/winter. For more information on SCE, visit www.scefdn.org.
How to apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter and two-page writing sample via attachment to email@example.com with the subject heading “SCE Communications Summer Associate”.