Communications Associate (Part-time)
SCE is a Chicago-based foundation with a national purview. The focus of our work is on cultivating 21st century skills for the rising generation, with an emphasis on digital learning and social and emotional skills. Foundations traditionally work in proven areas where results can be predicted. SCE is more likely to make calculated and thoughtful risks, moving beyond traditional grantmaking to explore new areas of impact, forge innovative partnerships, and find points of leverage.
We are currently seeking a dynamic professional to join our small team as a Communications Associate to advance SCE’s communications, outreach and initiative campaign strategies. Based in Chicago, the Communications Associate will be responsible for executing SCE’s communications plan to increase visibility and reach. This part-time position will collaborate with a Communications Consultant and report directly to the Program Officer.
– Communications Management. Implement and manage the communications strategy for SCE to increase visibility, engage existing and new audiences, elevate partners, and enhance our ability to communicate our work. Aid in the development of protocols for brand management strategies, editorial calendars, and tools to implement those strategies (templates, language, plans and guidelines).
– Platform Management. Manage day-to-day engagement platforms (including social media, web content and newsletters) to represent SCE’s point of view and program areas to the public, media, and philanthropic community in an effective, consistent and concise manner.
– Writing and Content Development. Responsible for writing and editing blogs, thought pieces, newsletters and social media posts, which accurately communicate our programs, learnings and events.
– Analytics. Track, measure, and report on the reach and impact of SCE’s public-facing communications to evaluate and improve approaches.
– Graphic Design. Create visual aspects of materials, websites and other media, including infographics. Provide visual design guidance on any internal or external projects that include a graphic/visual/branding aspect.
– Campaign Design. Develop and implement strategic engagement and outreach campaigns for emerging grant initiative milestones.
– Press Outreach. Oversee press and media outreach plan, including pitching (press releases, op-eds, etc.) and relationship cultivating with reporters, media partners and influencers to increase SCE’s visibility on local and national scale.
– Partner Engagement. Serve as the communications liaison with external partners.
The ideal candidate possesses the following experiences, qualities, and technical skills:
– Minimum of two years of relevant work experience preferred
– Bachelor’s degree preferred (Master’s degree—or intent to complete a degree –preferred)
– Demonstrated success creating and implementing effective branding and outreach campaigns
– Experience using platforms such as MailChimp, WordPress, Twitter and Facebook
– Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, including experience with Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, specifically with mockups, web design and multimedia presentation
– Familiarity working with reporters and media outlets a plus
– Exceptional communication skills and proven ability to write in a variety of tones and voices
– Creative, energetic self-starter able to work independently as well as within a team
– Respectful and ethical; motivated to be a positive force for social change
– Foundation experience not required
– Sense of humor and passion for the mission is required
This position is based in the City of Chicago, but our trustees, grantees, and partners span the country. Salary (hourly) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Associate is expected to work part-time at a minimum of 15 hours per week, with a preference to work at least two days per week onsite at our office. For more information on SCE, visit www.scefdn.org.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a portfolio of your work, including a two-page writing sample and any other relevant projects, via attachment to email@example.com with the subject heading “SCE Communications Associate.”